Re: null values in non-nullable column - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: null values in non-nullable column
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi, George,

"George Pavlov" <gpavlov@mynewplace.com> wrote:

> In 8.1 I have a situation where nullability of user defined datatypes
> does not seem to be enforced. Using the following steps I end up with a
> table that has a column that should not be nullable, but has nulls in
> it.

Ouch. That hurts!

Now all those MySQL freaks can argue "Well, PostgreSQL does allow
constraint violation, too.", despite the fact that most of them don't
even basically understand the special case we have here.

So, please, keep silent about it :-)

How difficult is it to fix this (e. G. by disallowing NULL-generating
JOINs on NOT NULL domains?)

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org