Re: Scaling concerns - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Scaling concerns
Date
Re: Scaling concerns  (Dimitri Fontaine <dim@dalibo.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 11:26:02AM -0600, tsuraan wrote:
> Even an operation like "select count(*) from messages" can take minutes,
> with a totally idle system.  Postgres seems to be the most scalable Free
> database out there, so I must be doing something wrong.

Unqualified SELECT COUNT(*) FROM foo is one of the most expensive operations
you can do on your system, since the visibility information has to be checked
on disk for each row. Instead, try real queries on real data, and post here
if some are too slow for you.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/