Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 11:17:06AM -0200, Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
> I just remebered one case with MySQL. When I changed the distro from
> Conectiva 10 (rpm-based ended brazilian distro) to Gentoo, a MySQL
> operation that usually took 2 minutes to run, ended in 47 seconds.

How do you know that this improvement had _anything_ to do with the use of
different optimization flags? Were even the MySQL versions or configuration
the same?

> This is absolutely vage.

Indeed it is.

> I don't have how to prove it to you.

No, but you should stop making this sort of "absolutely essential" claims if
you can't.

> And I can't mesure how each factor helped: compiling glibc and Mysql with
> good cflags, rebuilding my database in a ordered way, never kernel, etc..

Exactly. So why are you attributing it to the first factor only? And why do
you think this would carry over to PostgreSQL?

Remember, anecdotal evidence isn't.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/