Re: [Replica-hooks-discuss] Integrating Replication ino - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [Replica-hooks-discuss] Integrating Replication ino
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm responding with a short answer here.  But more of this sort of
discussion would really help our meta discussion on what the problem
is we're trying to solve.  I'm trying to host that on the other list
just on the grounds that -hackers has enough traffic about _actual_
features without cluttering it with discussion of wishlist items that
nobody is yet committed to do the work on.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:21:11PM +0100, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> managers". While all those different storage managers (innodb, bdb,
> myisam, ...) _look_ interchangeable from an interface point of view
> (You just specify which one to use when creating the table, right?),
> they all have _different_ semantics.

Yes.  But one way MySQL could have done that right was to identify in
their core that they needed an idea of storage management state.
Then BEGIN; INSERT INTO innodb_table; UPDATE myisam_table; COMMIT;
would fail in the way the ACID gods intended.  But that, of course,
would have required writing down in advance how these things should
work.  Which is what I'm proposing to do.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.                --Brad Holland