Re: select into - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: select into
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 23 November 2006 10:54 pm, Mulham freshcode wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
>  Thanks for the help. Am using version 8.0 and it seems like RECORD is not
> that dynamic still. I tried with the FOR ... IN EXECUTE ... LOOP and it
> does the trick. But am still finding it hard to move forward with this. I
> have the name of table field in a varchar variable that i got from
> information_schema.columns and I have the records variable that stores the
> contains the data from that table. Usually I'd do something like
> data_rec.col_name to extract the data from the record but now I don't know
> the name per se. how can i say something like data_rec[col_name]  where
> col_name is a variable that has the actual column name. I found no examples
> in the docs that explain this. Can it be done in version 8.0.1?
>
> I find variable substitution kind of confusing. I mean why is there no way
> of saying explicitly replace this variable with its content before
> executing the statement?
>
>  Sorry for the long question,
>  and thanks again for the help
>
>  Mustafa...
>
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote: Mulham freshcode  writes:
> > execute sql_str1 into svc_data_rec ;
> >
> > svc_data_rec is a RECORD, which is supposed to be dynamic.
>
> This should work --- in PG 8.1 or later.  In older versions you'd have
> to fool around with a FOR ... IN EXECUTE ... loop.
>
>    regards, tom lane

I am  trying to sort this out. Are you trying to find the data for a single
field from each table, or for some set of fields?. If you are looking for
data from a single field couldn't you dispense with the RECORD variable and
just build a query of the form SELECT col_name FROM tbl_name. If you want to
go through a set of fields then it would involve some nested loops.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net