Re: composite type insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: composite type insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 02:09:11AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> writes:
> > How should I create a composite type value out of columns a and b in
> > table tt that I can insert into table atable?
>
> Hm, it works for me with an explicit cast:
>
> INSERT INTO
>   atable
> SELECT
>   ROW(a, b)::atype
> FROM
>   tt;
>
> Perhaps we should allow this in an automatic or even implicit cast
> context.

Ah, I can certainly live with a cast.  I didn't realize that creating a
composite type with 'create type' also automatically created a cast.  I
should have at least tried that.  Maybe section 8.11 (Composite Types)
or the 'CREATE TYPE' section of the docs should mention this?

Best.

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/