Re: Random() - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Random()
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 06:54:42PM -0200, Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> My bigint field has 20,000 numbers and I'd like to make real random (used
> like lottery).

If you want _real_ random, you have to use a non-computer source for
your randomness.  The best you get on a computer is pseudo-random.
Often it's very good pseudo-random -- most of the time, good enough
for most purposes -- but it isn't true randomness of the sort that is
delivered by (for example) particle decay.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.    --Roger Brinner