Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Rovero
Subject Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this
Date
List pgsql-general

From: novnov [mailto:novnovice@gmail.com]
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:15:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this

I agree with what you say. And I'd still be interesting in hearing of first
hand experience with the speed of the two databases from someone who is
'good' at both. The article commentor was obviously not a pgsql expert. I've
heard recently that pgsql is as fast as mysql, so it seems odd that ms sql
would be faster than pgsql. The actual test, what was use to benchmark,
would make a difference of course.

I'm hoping someone with a good handle on both databases has direct
experience can chime in here.
We use both native PostgreSQL and SQL Server Desktop Edition (MSDE),
 but not generally for exactly the same things.

We use PostgreSQL on a multi-platform (HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, Windows)
commercial application suite.  Works great handles tens of gigabytes
per day in data insertions, updates, and retirements with almost
zero administration.  Servers running the database stay up forever.
We chose PostgreSQL as the best value after analyzing competing commercial
and open source RDBMS systems in a formal DAR (Decision Analysis Resolution)
process.

We use MSDE on a government project where both the specific database version
and committee-designed database schema from hell were mandated.
There are plenty of instances when SQL Server is less than optimal and
maddening.  The MSDE version also limits connections, throttles performance
for simultaneous queries, etc.  And there's no way you'd ever pick it for
multiplatform use or portability.