Re: authentication question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: authentication question
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> writes:
> > I haven't had to fool too much with pam for authenticating other
> > services so I'm a little bit out of my knowledge base but I know that it
> > was simple to add netatalk into the pam authentication and expected that
> > postgresql would be similar.
>
> FWIW, we ship this PAM config file in the Red Hat PG RPMs:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth        include        system-auth
> account        include        system-auth
>
> which AFAIR looks about the same as the corresponding files for other
> services.  It's installed as /etc/pam.d/postgresql.

For this to work you need a system-auth file in /etc/pam.d, which would
have lines for auth/account/required etc, and not just "includes".

PAM seems to be another area on which Linux distributors have been
diverging wildly for a long time; for example here on Debian the include
lines look like

auth    requisite       pam_nologin.so
auth    required        pam_env.so
@include common-auth
@include common-account
session required        pam_limits.so

so I doubt one distro's config files are applicable to any other.