Re: lots of values for IN() clause - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: lots of values for IN() clause
Date
Re: lots of values for IN() clause  (Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch>)
List pgsql-general
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our PostgreSQL 8.1.5 databases constantly crashed on a certain
> query (backend SEGFAULTs). I've figured the crashes were caused by a
> very long IN() clause.
>
> You can easily reproduce the crash by feeding the output of the python
> script below to your database.

I'd argue that you have max_stack_depth set to an invalid value (higher
than your true stack limit).  I tried your example here on 8.1.5 and got
this:

alvherre=# \i foo
CREATE TABLE
psql:foo:2: ERROR:  stack depth limit exceeded
HINT:  Increase the configuration parameter "max_stack_depth".
DROP TABLE