Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Chuck McDevitt wrote:

> We treated quoted identifiers as case-specific, as the spec requires.
>
> In the catalog, we stored TWO columns... The column name with case
> converted as appropriate (as PostgreSQL already does), used for looking
> up the attribute,
> And a second column, which was the column name with the case exactly as
> entered by the user.

Wouldn't using that second column's value tend to often violate 5.2SR10
(at least that's the reference item in SQL92)? AFAICT, that rule basically
says that the regular identifier is equivalent to the case-folded one for
purposes of information and definition schema and similar purposes which
seems like it would be intended to include things like column labeling for
output. There's a little bit of flexibility there on both similar purposes
and equivalence, though.

----

isa lower-   case letter is replaced by the equivalent upper-case letter   or letters. This treatment includes
determinationof equiva-   lence, representation in the Information and Definition Schemas,   representation in the
diagnosticsarea, and similar uses.