Re: Send email from PostgreSQL, may I ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Send email from PostgreSQL, may I ?
Date
Re: Send email from PostgreSQL, may I ?  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
List pgsql-general
Gerson Machado wrote:
> I need send email directly from PG with on function, where locate this ?

Typically this is bad idea.  Better save the email info on a table and
fire a NOTIFY.  An external daemon would be listening to that
notification, and send the email from the data in the table, which it
can subsequently delete or mark as used.

This is also better because you have a chance to retry if your SMTP is
down or whatever.  If you fail to send the mail in a trigger or
function, you have no way to wait 10 minutes without clogging your
application.