Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:11:08AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Putting xl_prev to the end helps only for direct IO WAL sync methods,
> > else we would need it on every page.
>
> [There is already an XLogRecPtr on each 8k page.]

Given that hardware sector size is still 512 bytes, should there be a
way of detecting a missing 512 byte block in the middle of an 8K block.
The idea of simply writing a serial counter every 512 bytes seems to
be a good way to handle that...

Have a nice day,