Re: Is ODBC that slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Is ODBC that slow?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> >Try Command Prompt's ODBC driver.  Lately it has been measured to be
> >consistently faster than psqlODBC.
> >
> >http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng
>
> just curious: what was the reasoning to reimplement the protocol stack
> in odbcng? the mainline odbc driver went in the other direction.

Yeah, but they had to back-off from that plan, and AFAIK it only uses
libpq for the auth stuff and then switch to dealing with the protocol
directly.

I don't know what the reasoning was though :-)  I guess Joshua would
know.  I'm not involved in that project.  I only know that recently a
user posted some measurements showing that ODBCng was way slower that
psqlODBC, and it was discovered that it was using v3 Prepare/Bind/
Execute, which was problematic performance-wise due to the planner
issues with that.  So AFAIK it currently parses the statements
internally before passing them to the server.