Re: Maximum size of database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From roopa perumalraja
Subject Re: Maximum size of database
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for your reply.

I have answered your questions below.

1 & 2) System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
          Version 2002
          Computer: Intel Pentium CPU 3.40GHz, 960MB of RAM

3) shared_buffers = 20000
    autovaccum = on

4) Yes, I am vacuuming & analyzing the database once every day.

5) No concurrent activities, means I run one command at a time.

6) Nothing else running on the box other than Postgres.

I hope these answers will try to solve my problem. Thanks again.

Roopa

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item4.4

> Currently my database size is 37GB & its pretty slow. I wonder if
> its b'cos of huge amount of data in it.

37GB isn't all that huge; as the FAQ mentions, much larger databases
exist. Without more information we'll have to ask some of the
standard questions:

What's your hardware configuration?
What operating system and version are you using?
What are your non-default postgresql.conf settings?
Are you vacuuming and analyzing the database regularly?
How much concurrent activity do you have?
Does anything other than PostgreSQL run on the box?

If you have a specific query that's slow then please post the EXPLAIN
ANALYZE output. Also, you might get more help on the pgsql-performance
list.

--
Michael Fuhr

signature