Re: [ADMIN] Copying data from table to table (cloned tables) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Copying data from table to table (cloned tables)
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:24:57AM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > If you just want to copy the data across to the other table:
> > begin;
> > insert into table2 select * from table1 where <some criteria>;
> > commit;
> >
> > if you also want to remove that same data from table1:
> > begin;
> > insert into table2 select * from table1 where <some criteria>;
> > delete from table1 where <same criteria as above>;
> > commit;

I forgot to mention you could also use a serializable transaction with
your method...

BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE;
INSERT ...
DELETE ...
COMMIT;

Just remember you'll need to deal with the possibility of a 'could not
serialize' error.