Re: Query Failed, out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Query Failed, out of memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:56:43AM -0400, Mark Woodward wrote:
> The query was executed as:
> psql -p 5435 -U pgsql -t -A -c "select client, item, rating, day from
> ratings order by client" netflix > netflix.txt
>

> My question, it looks like the kernel killed psql, and not postmaster. The
> postgresql log file complained about a broken pipe.
>
> Question, is this a bug in psql? It took over 4 hours of run time before
> the crash.

Well, psql tried to store the entire resultset in memory at once, and
failed. I'm not sure how many records you were trying to display, but
try to estimate how much memory that would take to store...

What were you trying to do?

Have a nice day,