Re: pg_ctl -D? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ray Stell
Subject Re: pg_ctl -D?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:19:31AM -0700, Tomeh, Husam wrote:

> Postgres expects all your data files to be in one location. The
> workaround if you have chosen to spread them is to use symbolic links to
> point to that one location again.

Apparently, not.  I used tablespaces to spread out indexes and tables.  Anyway,
pg found the other data after starting with just the base:

 pg_ctl -D /var/pgsql/data -l logfile start

testdb=# \db
            List of tablespaces
    Name    |   Owner    |    Location
 pg_default | postgresql |
 pg_global  | postgresql |
 testts     | postgresql | /opt/pgsql/data
(3 rows)

This may come back to bite me some other way.  Having all the data on one
drive doesn't make any sense to me at all.   Would this not cause i/o bottlenecks?