Re: On future conferences - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: On future conferences
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 06:23:02AM -0700, mdean wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >Andy Astor wrote:
> >
> >>...and EnterpriseDB.
> >>

> >What isn't clear is whether EnterpriseDB offers straight PostgreSQL
> >training, rather than EnterpriseDB product training.
> >
> I see only expensive courses in North Carolina, Ottawa, and
> Swizerland.  The Enterprisedb site does not mention training.
> Postgresql vendors need to adopt the SAS model and offer lower
> priced courses in many more cities, such as in San Francisco,
> Oakland, Des Moines, etc.  or let users kill two birds with one
> stone and take courses AND certification at major conferences, like
> linux is doing with Linuxworld.  We all know the Pervasive model for
> "support" does not work, I would question how popular these training
> courses are either.  Personally  my company would not pay 3-5 grand
> plus travel costs for one week courses.  So like the conferences,
> the courses relate only to elitest elements, and offer nothing for
> the masses, which are good reasons why postgresql is NOT used by the
> masses.  After over a full year in reviewing the operations of the
> postgresql community, I sense a strong elitest mentality and an
> unwillingness to define and take care of customers.  A formula for
> failure.

Are you proposing something to change this, or are you just whining
again?  If it's the latter, please do yourself and the rest of us a
faovor and leave.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!