Re: On future conferences - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From elein
Subject Re: On future conferences
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 06:23:02AM -0700, mdean wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >Andy Astor wrote:
> >
> >>...and EnterpriseDB.
> >>

> >What isn't clear is whether EnterpriseDB offers straight PostgreSQL
> >training, rather than EnterpriseDB product training.
> >

> I see only expensive courses in North Carolina, Ottawa, and Swizerland.
> The Enterprisedb site does not mention training.  Postgresql vendors
> need to adopt the SAS model and offer lower priced courses in many more
> cities, such as in San Francisco, Oakland, Des Moines, etc.  or let
> users kill two birds with one stone and take courses AND certification
> at major conferences, like linux is doing with Linuxworld.  We all know
> the Pervasive model for "support" does not work, I would question how
> popular these training courses are either.  Personally  my company would
> not pay 3-5 grand plus travel costs for one week courses.  So like the
> conferences, the courses relate only to elitest elements, and offer
> nothing for the masses, which are good reasons why postgresql is NOT
> used by the masses.  After over a full year in reviewing the operations
> of the postgresql community, I sense a strong elitest mentality and an
> unwillingness to define and take care of customers.  A formula for failure.

Another model of offering is like what I do. I come to the company to train
as set of developers on PostgreSQL basics.  This usually costs trainer time
and expenses.  My "official" class is short however it usually gets extended
to an extra day or days with discussion of company specific needs.

--elein
Varlena, LLC
elein@varlena.com