Re: User session information catalog views - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: User session information catalog views
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 12:18:31PM +1000, GURON Rawender wrote:
> I am new to PostgreSQL and have long experience of administering Oracle
> database. I am looking for user sessions information in a PostgreSQL.
> Basically I am after dynamic performance views equivalent to Oracle's
> v$session, v$process, v$session_wait etc. Can someone guide me in right
> direction because I could not find any relevant information in the
> manual.

Sounds like you're looking for the pg_stat_activity view.  See "The
Statistics Collector" in the "Monitoring Database Activity" chapter
of the documentation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/monitoring-stats.html

To see command strings you'll need to enable stats_command_string
in postgresql.conf.  This setting is off by default in 8.1 and
earlier; enabling it can have a noticeable performance impact.
Performance is improved in 8.2, which will enable stats_command_string
by default.

--
Michael Fuhr