dictionary? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ray Stell
Subject dictionary?
Date
Re: dictionary?
List pgsql-novice
How do you accomplish this in pg?

1. Is there a table like the Oracle dictionary?
2. Is there a way to describe a table?

I use these all the time in oracle.  When I can't remember where
some management metric is located in the system, I sort of grep for
it based on a keyword.  For example, if I need to find out about some
snapshot (copy of a table from another db), I do this:

select table_name from dictionary where table_name like '%SNAPSHOT%';

TABLE_NAME
ALL_REGISTERED_SNAPSHOTS
ALL_SNAPSHOTS

SQL> describe ALL_SNAPSHOTS
 OWNER                                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 NAME                                      NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 TABLE_NAME                                NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)

select name from ALL_SNAPSHOTS;

TIA.