BUG #2636: JDBC error behaviour incorrect - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kiren Pillay
Subject BUG #2636: JDBC error behaviour incorrect
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2636
Logged by:          Kiren Pillay
Email address:      kiren.pillay@standardbank.co.za
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system:   Windows
Details:

Hi

Here is my code snippet:
 <--

      public Hashtable retrieveApplicationParameters() {
            PreparedStatement ps = null;
            ResultSet rs = null;

            String loadApplicationParameters = " SELECT key_id, key_value FROM
application_parameters WHERE is_active = 1";

            Hashtable values = new Hashtable();
            try {
                DBActions db=DBActions.getInstance();

              rs = db.getConnection().prepareCall(loadApplicationParameters
).executeQuery();
              while (rs.next()) {
                  // Testing
                values.put(rs.getString(1), rs.getString(2));
                System.out.println(rs.getString(1)+","+ rs.getString(2));
              }
            } catch (SQLException sqle) {
              logger.error("Could not load application parameters ", sqle);
            }
            catch (Exception e){
            e.printStackTrace();
            }
            catch (Throwable e){
                e.printStackTrace();
                }
                /*finally {

              DBConnection.close(rs, ps);
            }*/
            return values;
          }

-->

In this code, the program gets to the executeQuery part with no exception.
When it gets to the rs.next() part, the code jumps to the finally block.
This is non-deterministic behaviour as the code seems to have thrown an
exception, but even the catch Throwable part does not catch the error.

The database being connected to is a restore from another database. The fact
is this database restore could be incorrect, but how can I find the actual
error
cause of the problem. Is there a way to increase the logging so that I can
figure out the problem here.

Sorry I can't give more info than this until i can learn how to turn the
debugging for the jdbc driver and so on.