Re: polite request about syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: polite request about syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:35:03PM -0300, Ricardo Malafaia wrote:
> On 9/15/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> >Where is the mention of either of these on the CREATE FUNCTION page?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createfunction.html

Err, in the example? So you're not complaining about any text as such
and there's nothing actually wrong on that page. OK.

You're complaint is that we follow the standard and MSSQL doesn't and
should follow them instead. Eh?

There are more databases than MS-SQL, we can't implement everybodies
version of "timestamp". And in any case, why are they not the same?

> and, while $$ is a whole lot better than '', why do we really need
> these?  Why not a normal, simple, begin end block or {}?  People in
> the industry don't like hacks and the open-source world is full of it,
> though it's getting better.

Because Postgresql has a lot more languages. Putting a begin/end around
perl code or {} around python code would just look wrong. $$ is
unobstrusive and looks ok no matter what the language.

Not to mention that it's actually parseable without know the language.
Remember, we have to know where the code block begins and ends before
we know what language it is, the LANGUAGE specifier comes after.

> I think this is all valid criticism, but you wanna play deaf, that's
> up to you guys.  cheers

Deaf? You're the first person who has mentioned either of these issues.
So I'm sorry if we don't run to implement them right away.

Have a nice day,