Re: Fixed length data types issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date
Re: Fixed length data types issue  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:43:52AM +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be that bad compared to what we have
> now or the new proposed varlena scheme, but before someone actually
> tries it and shows some numbers, this is just hand-waving.

Well, that depends on whether you're going to make a special typlen
value for *just* UTF-8, which would probably cost about the same. Or
allow any type to have it's own Datum length function, which would be
very expensive. Calling user-defined functions is not cheap.

I don't think making a special typlen value just for a type that can
store a single UTF-8 character is smart. I just can't see enough use to
make it worth it.

Have a nice day,