Re: wrong behavior using to_char() - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: wrong behavior using to_char()
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <euler@timbira.com> writes:
> > In the pt_BR locale, the thousand separator is "". So it should return
> > 12345,670. Looking at the source, I saw that the test cases for locale
> > properties are independent among them. I think that the correct form is to
> > have all-or-nothing test case or didn't test *lconv->property ("" is
> > evaluated to false). Attached is a patch that fixes it using the second
> > option.
>
> Not unless you have a solution to the problem seen in this thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-02/msg00172.php

I was going to point him to these commits to formatting.c:

    date: 2006/02/12 23:48:23;  author: momjian;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -4
    Revert because C locale uses "" for thousands_sep, meaning "n/a", while
    French uses "" for "don't want".  Seems we have to keep the existing
    behavior.
    revision 1.105
    date: 2006/02/12 19:52:06;  author: momjian;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -4
    Support "" for thousands separator and plus sign in to_char(), per
    report from French Debian user.  psql already handles "" fine.

One idea would be to handle C locale behavior differently from non-C
locale.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us