Re: Draft release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Draft release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 01:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here is an early draft of the release notes.  It needs more polish and
> > review:
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgrelease
> >
> > I will catch up on my email tomorrow, update the open items list for
> > 8.2, and then return to the release notes for cleanup.
>
> A few changes:
>
> - Improve COPY performance (Alon Goldshuv)
> - Optimize the locking used by sequential scans (Qingqing Zhou)
>
> - Re-enable full_page_writes (Tom)
> This flag can now be used even with PITR. It is turned **on** (not off!)
> automatically between pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() calls.
>
> - Add support for forcing a switch to a new xlog file (Simon Riggs)
> ...should include Tom

OK, done.

> - Improve performance of replaying WAL logs on a backup server (Simon
> Riggs)
> ...I describe this as Restartable Recovery... don't think it improves
> performance exactly, just avoids needing to re-run it from scratch

OK, new wording:
* Allow WAL replay to be restared quicker in case of a crash (Simon  Riggs)  The improvement is to do periodic
checkpointsduring WAL recovery, so  if there is a crash, future WAL recovery is shortened.

> My memory says this was eventually removed, even though it was committed
> for a time. Am I wrong?
> - Make EXPLAIN sampling smarter, to avoid excessive sampling delay
> (Martijn van Oosterhout)

I see a reversion for EXPLAIN ANALYZE only:
date: 2006/06/09 19:30:56;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +27 -172Revert sampling patch for EXPLAIN ANALYZE; it
turnsout to be toounreliable because node timing is much less predictable than the patchexpects.  I kept the API change
forInstrStopNode, however.

so the item is probably still OK.