Re: Question about 8-byte datatypes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Question about 8-byte datatypes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 11:16:06AM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Is int8 a passed-by-value data type on 64-bit platforms? How do we arrange for
> that to be the case? I don't see any magic in pg_type.h but I'm not sure what
> I'm looking for.

Not AFAIK. It would involve fiddeling the catalog, tricky since the
catalog genration script doesn't understand #ifdef's. Also you would
have to add conditionals for the the PG_RETURN_* and PG_GET* macros.

> I'm asking because I have another 8-byte data type I want to use and it would
> be nice to have that same property, assuming we have it for int8.

Yes that'd be nice, but not entirely straightforward.

Have a nice day,