Re: Two billion records ok? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Two billion records ok?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:26:59AM +0800, Nick Bower wrote:
> So given 4000x700x2x365x10 > 2 billion, is this going to  be a problem if we
> will be wanting to query on datetimes, Postgis lat/lon, and integer-based
> metadata flags?

That figure is about 20 billion, which is indeed > 2 billion :-).
If you plan to use integer row IDs then you'll need to use 64-bit
bigint/bigserial instead of 32-bit integer/serial.  I haven't worked
with a database that large; maybe somebody else can give additional
advice.

--
Michael Fuhr