Re: Serial Updating - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Serial Updating
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 03 September 2006 02:24 pm, Bob Pawley wrote:
> I have a column that I wish to use to designate loop numbers.
>
> A loop number is composed of a letter (F for flow, T for temperatures etc.)
> followed by a sequence number starting at one and ending with the last
> loop.
>
> The loop numbers will appear as F-1, T-2 and so on.
>
> I seem to have no problem designating the column with the appropriate
> letters.
>
> However, I haven't a clue how to add the numerical portion - or if it is
> even possible.
>
> If anyone has a thought I would appreciate being pointed to some
> documentation that covers this.
>
> Bob Pawley

I am not quite sure of the question here.
To create F-1 you could do 'F'||'-'||1.

If you are asking about creating the serial sequence you may want to look at
the following for an overview of gap less sequences.
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/130.php
The part on two level sequences would seem to be most appropriate for this
situation.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net