Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add new variable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add new variable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > Add new variable "server_version_num", which is almost the same as
> > "server_version" but uses the handy PG_VERSION_NUM which allows apps to
> > do things like if ($version >= 80200) without having to parse apart the
> > value of server_version themselves.
>
> I thought this was rejected as being utterly useless.  Or is this commit
> somehow going to retroactively affect existing old servers?

You were the only one to object, as I remember.  Others like it.  The
fact it was not in older releases was not a huge problem to them.  We
could actually backpatch it if we wanted.

> A non-useless version of this would be client-side code ... except it's
> already there, in libpq at least.

There is no sense in having all clients reinvent this.

I am not applying patches where everyone is going to agree to the
feature.  It only requires a majority.  If you want a vote, we can do
that.  Same for the plpython patch.