Getting Started: Tutorials/Books? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Eric M. Cherry
Subject Getting Started: Tutorials/Books?
Date
List pgsql-novice

Greetings, all.

I am getting started with only basic computer-using skills and essentially no programming knowledge.  I am in need of a tutorial and/or a reference book that will help me learn to use pgAdmin III.

The tutorial that exists in the help file appears to focus on using the psql program from within a command shell.  I have failed to accomplish even the most basic commands in this manner; the system tells me that user “emc” does not exist, I do not appear able to create that user, and I cannot see a way to switch to a valid user.  Meanwhile, using pgAdmin III, I appear to be able to create new databases and tables.

I am assuming that my gross lack of knowledge is what keeps me from using the command shell while I can make use of the pgAdmin III interface.  The interface is clearly picking up the slack for me, which I appreciate.

This does not help me get beyond the wall of incomprehension at the next stage, though.  I can spawn a database, and I can create a table.  I do not grasp the basics of table mechanics from the programming side.  (I have, on paper, the table I want to create; I do not know how to make this happen in the database.)

Is there a comprehensive tutorial available for this, or can you recommend a book that can give me the background knowledge I need to begin to make progress?

   - emc