Re: UUID as primary key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roman Neuhauser
Subject Re: UUID as primary key
Date
List pgsql-general
# vmaverick@pgp.com / 2006-08-31 07:35:30 -0700:
> >     Ralf Engelschall's OSSP uuid looks very good. Written in C with
> >     interfaces into PostgreSQL, PHP and C++ (classes wrapping the C
> >     structures and functions).
> >
> >     http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
>
> Can you give a link to the PostgreSQL binding?  I haven't been able to
> find it there.  All I see is C, Perl and PHP bindings for the generation
> of UUIDs, and nothing about storage.

    The above page links to the source repository [1] which in turn
    contains a "pgsql" directory[2].

    [1] http://cvs.ossp.org/dir?d=ossp-pkg/uuid
    [2] http://cvs.ossp.org/dir?d=ossp-pkg/uuid/pgsql

> >     CREATE TABLE t (id UUID DEFAULT 'uuid(4)' PRIMARY KEY);

> (For my application, as it happens, I don't need to generate UUIDs in
> the database, but I recognize that would be useful.)

    Actually, serverside generation of uuids is the least interesting
    aspect of that snippet. Use of custom types in indexes requires
    appropriate operator classes, and I was trying to give a hint that
    the library's support for PostgreSQL is quite comprehensive.

    Now, an operator class is no rocket science, but the ability to use
    the type in any way without having to add missing features is nice
    anyway.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.