Re: 7.4 Development - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: 7.4 Development
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 07:38, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 17:43 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > I thought the back patching policy is *three* versions before, not
> > > two versions since we are currently supporting 7.3.
> >
> > Nope, 7.3 is being back-patched currently but there is no promise that
> > that  patching will continue.   I think this is on our web page
> > somewhere ..
>
> AFAIR Tom has written that he will continue patching 7.3 for RHEL3 in
> the name of Red Hat. So I can count is like a promise if I'm a RHEL3
> customer. AFAIK it is about 3 years from now on if they will be
> supporting RHEL 3 for 7 years, and 1 year from now on if the EOL is 1
> year later (5-years support).
>
> However I believe 7.4 will not live that long, since none of the RHEL
> (or like) products contain PostgreSQL 7.4.

I suspect 7.4 will hang on for awhile though as iirc it is the version
included with Debian stable.  While that doesn't seem like it would mean
much, I think that was one of the primary drivers of why 7.2 support stayed
around for so long.

--
Robert Treat