Re: Create Assertion -- Question from a newbie - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Create Assertion -- Question from a newbie
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:39:49AM -0700, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> Ah, I see.  So the points is that checking the integrity between
> two complete data sets can become a preformace killer.

Not necessarily.  More exactly, building a support system that can
check such integrity in a completely general way, such that it could
be used for any arbitrary data, is a hard problem that might destroy
performance.  It's also a pretty exotic feature.  You might want to
ask on the -hackers list for more detail, though.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.     --Dennis Ritchie