Re: Strange message followed by server crash - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Strange message followed by server crash
Date
List pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Donald Fraser" <postgres@kiwi-fraser.net> writes:
> > "Tom Lane" writes:
> >> Given that this sounds like it won't be easy to reproduce, I'm hoping
> >> you have a core file left from that and can get a stack trace from it.
>
> > Where would I look for a core file?
> > There's nothing unusual in the data directory, nothing in the /tmp =
> > directory?
>
> Normally it would go into the $PGDATA/base/NNN subdirectory for the
> database the backend was connected to.  A very few systems (OS X for
> instance) drop cores into a dedicated system-wide directory called
> /cores or some such.

Note that on recent versions of Linux you can modify both the file name
and the directory where it's saved, by modifying
/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern (or the deprecated
/proc/sys/kernel/core_uses_pid).  See core(5) for details.