Re: Lock Problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Lock Problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 05:27:58PM -0300, André José Guergolet wrote:
> Hello all,  I'm using the Postgres 8.0 and my product creates 7
> connections at the server.
>
> One of my connections do an update at a simple table with 360 rows
> and I've got many table locks. How I can take more scability?

It's pretty hard to tell, given what you're telling us.  The UPDATE
will take a write-blocking lock on each of the rows for the duration
of the transaction.  You shouldn't have any table locks, unless
you're not telling us something.  You should post more detail.  Why
do you think you have table locks, to begin with?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.    --Roger Brinner