Re: Conditional INSERT: if not exists - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Conditional INSERT: if not exists
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:48:53 -0700,
  Don Morrison <donmorrison@gmail.com> wrote:

> My problem: if the insert fails because the value already exists, then
> this starts a rollback of my entire transaction.  The solution I'm

If you know there won't be concurrent inserts or deletes affecting the
row of interest there is a way to do this in the INSERT statement.

> transaction...I'm not sure the nested transaction is necessary...maybe
> just the savepoint. Example:

Using save points creates nested transactions, so you have that overhead by
whatever name it is called.