Re: NULL becomes default - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: NULL becomes default
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 11:34:48AM +0100, Julian Scarfe wrote:
> So thinking about this a little more, it requires me to be able to change a
> column value to DEFAULT (unless I implement the default from scratch in the
> trigger, but that feels messy).  I don't have much experience of triggers:
> can I do that?

DEFAULT won't work for this case, I don't think; you want to set it
to the nextval() of the sequence or whatever it was you were trying
to do.  But it's not messy: this is precisely the sort of thing
BEFORE triggers are good at.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.    --H.W. Fowler