Re: Autovacuum on by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Autovacuum on by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> It is by default for unusual activity.  It can be for normal activity
> using the proper GUC settings, but we don't have a way to control
> that just for autovacuum yet, and given what we have in 8.2, I don't
> see a need to add more until users say they need more.

Right, the server log should tend to being empty if there is nothing
unusual happening.  I recall that someone once complained about every
checkpoint run making an entry; and every autovacuum run making one
would be about the same.  Certainly, there is room for more fine-tuning
here, but the all-important question "Has autovacuum ever run
(recently)" can now be easily answered in 8.2, so we're good.

--
Peter Eisentraut