Re: Autovacuum on by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Autovacuum on by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 03:17:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Agreed.  I just IM'ed Alvaro and he says pg_stat_activity should now
> > show exactly what autovacuum is doing (and if it doesn't, let's fix it).
> > I think that is the best solution to the monitoring problem, rather than
> > throwing lines in the server logs.
>
> How do you figure that?  The point of logging what's done is so that you
> can find out what autovac has been doing, not what it's doing right now.

Well, the big complaint has been "I have no way to know if autovac has
actually been vacuuming table X", which the pg_stat changes address. But
it would still be very handy to be able to do things like get stats from
autovac (which presumably you can do if you crank the logging verbosity
up high enough). Personally, I'd love the ability to have autovac (or
heck, ever regular vac) log statistics on a per-relation basis to a
table for later analysis. I realize there's a lot of transactionality
issues there, but I'd happily pay the cost of having autovac keep a
seperate logging connection open to be able to get this info.