Re: Timezones -- what comes out does not go in? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Timezones -- what comes out does not go in?
Date
List pgsql-general
Julian Scarfe wrote:
> The timezone on our boxes is set to Etc/UCT (possibly a distro default).
>
> (psql 8.1.4)
>
> => select to_char(current_timestamp, 'HH24:MI:SS TZ');
>   to_char
> --------------
> 09:05:48 UCT
> (1 row)
>
> =>  select '09:05:48 UCT'::time;
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type time: "09:05:48 UCT"
>
> Is this behaviour expected? Desirable?

It is expected, because back in 8.1 the timezones recognized came from a
hardcoded table.  It's not desirable of course.  But on the other hand,
it's fixed in the development code:

alvherre=# set timezone to 'Etc/UCT';
SET
alvherre=# select to_char(current_timestamp, 'HH24:MI:SS TZ');
   to_char
 14:19:05 UCT
(1 fila)

alvherre=# select '14:19:05 UCT'::time;