Re: Segmentation Fault - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Segmentation Fault
Date
List pgsql-general

> Last night one of my databases broke down temporary because of a
> segmentation fault.
> It has only happended this time and the database was fully recovered
> afterwards,
> but I was wondering what I can do anything to prevent it from happening
> again
>
> It happened while the backup was running (pg_dump & pgdumpall)
> Here are some details from the logs etc.
>
> The system is running Ubuntu Linux and I'm using the PostgreSQL package
> from the dapper repository:
> uname -a
> Linux db 2.6.15-26-amd64-server #1 SMP Fri Jul 7 20:02:26 UTC 2006
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> select version()
> PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.0.gcc-opt
> (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
>
> pgsql log
> 2006-08-16 00:38:22 CEST - LOG:  server process (PID 4792) was
> terminated by sig
> nal 11

Sig 11 are frequently the result of hardware problems.  Make sure the
system has enough cooling and consistent power.  Stress test the RAM, MMU,
and other components to ensure that they will function reliably under
load.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.