Re: Changing the data directory Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Purser
Subject Re: Changing the data directory Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15 Aug 2006 11:19:39 -0700
shaun.ricci@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have done a good deal of investigation and cannot seem to find a
> straight answer.  Is there  way to change the default data directory?
> I am using Ubuntu Dapper LTS.  I have a seperate hard drive  (and
> partition) that I want to keep my data on in case of a problem with
> the OS.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Shaun

Shaun,

Normally the "default data directory" is set when starting PostgreSQL
with the -D switch.  Sometimes it is controled by the PGDATA
environmental variable.

On my Ubuntu Dapper system PostgreSQL (which was build from source, not
the .deb) this is set from SysV startup script located
at /etc/init.d/postgresql.  To "change" the default directory run
initdb -D "New Directory" then change the data directory in the SysV
init script.  Stop and restart PostgreSQL.

John Purser