Re: VACUUM VERBOSE output to STDERR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francis GUDIN
Subject Re: VACUUM VERBOSE output to STDERR
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:05:44 -0700
John Purser <jmpurser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Take a look at the "tee" command that takes stdin and writes it to
> stdout AND a file.  If I understand you correctly you DO want to keep
> stdout and stderr as two separate streams, write (at least) std err to
> a log file, but have the error messages e-mailed to you as part of
> your cron job. <snip>

Thanks for your suggestion, but my concern is more about vacuum's
behaviour, in fact:
those messages are purely /informative/ and get sent to STDERR.
This seems wrong to me: 'mundane' activity should be output to STDOUT and
'exceptional conditions' deserve the special fd, don't they ?

Francis

Attachment