Re: clients and libs and versions (oh my) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: clients and libs and versions (oh my)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:22:56PM -0700, Steve Crawford wrote:
> When version mismatches between the client and server are inevitable,
> what is less likely to get me into trouble - clients/libs newer than
> server or server newer than clients/libs?

Note that you can in theory install multiple versions of the client
libraries. People have posted here on the list about setting up aliases
to switch between versions.

$ pg7.4
$ psql
... runs psql version 7.4 ..
$ pg8.1
$ psql
... runs psql version 8.1 ...

That way, if version skew is bothering you, you can jump out and use
the matching client version for the best results...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment