Re: PITR performance overhead? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: PITR performance overhead?
Date
List pgsql-performance

> I am looking for some general guidelines on what is the performance
> overhead of enabling point-in-time recovery (archive_command config) on
> an 8.1 database. Obviously it will depend on a multitude of factors, but
> some broad-brush statements and/or anecdotal evidence will suffice.
> Should one worry about its performance implications? Also, what can one
> do to mitigate it?

Prior to implementing PITR, I did some testing to see what kind of
overhead it would add.  It was negligible.  I don't remember the details,
but I seem to remember the performance hit was barely measurable.

Note that in our usage scenarios, we have very little IO compared to
CPU usage.  The result is that our DB servers have plenty of disk
bandwidth to spare.  Since the log backup occurs as a background
process, it made almost no difference in our tests.  If your DB is
very IO intensive, you may have different results.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.