Re: About "ALTER USER" command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Álvaro Herrera
Subject Re: About "ALTER USER" command
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mónica Ivonne Herrera Alonso   wrote:

Mónica,

> I need to change password of the usuary POSTGRES using the commando "ALTER
> USER". This change I must do it by means of a program .bat  in “quiet” way.

> I have the following instruction in .bat program :

> psql -S "ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'xxtyod';"

> But when I execute this program, it requests user password to me.

Sure.  It's asking for the password of the user who will connect to the
database and issue the SQL command.  There are several ways to avoid
this; the simplest is to create an appropiate .pgpass file (pgpass.conf
in Windows).  The exact location is something like %APPDATA%/postgresql,
but better look it up in the documentation.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is