Re: root/administartor user check option. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: root/administartor user check option.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> > Removing or disabling the test without removing some of the dangerous
> > capabilities would be a major security hole. For example: postgres can
> > deliver to any authenticated user the contents of any text file on the
> > system that the database user can read. Do you want the responsibility
> > of allowing that for any file the administrator can read? No, I thought
> > not. Neither do we.
>
> True. This means that one just cannot "copy over" PG files and run the
> database without creating additional users and services.
>
> Just looking at how much windows standalone apps are being developed
> which potentially could use an "embedded" or "light" version of PG,  I
> still think the option should be considered. Perhaps in a more
> restricted or striped-down version of PG. (PG Light or something).

Postgres is BSD, so feel free to create and "Insecure Postgres" and
distribute however you like.

Note that pg_ctl contains code to be started as admin and drop the
privileges early.  That may be able to satisfy your requirements without
being extremely insecure.