Re: Referential integrity (foreign keys) across multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Jones
Subject Re: Referential integrity (foreign keys) across multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:26:15PM -0500, Aaron Bono wrote:
> On 7/22/06, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> >  create table hosts (
> >    id serial primary key,
> >    hostname text not null
> >  );
> >
> >  create table pages (
> >    id serial primary key,
> >    hostid int not null references hosts (id),
> >    url text not null,
> >    unique (hostid, url)
> >  );
> >
> >  create table page_contents (
> >    pageid int not null references pages (id),
> >    section text not null
> >  );
> >
> >(There are many hosts, many pages per host, and many page_contents
> >sections per page).
> >
> >Now I want to add a column to page_contents, say called link_name,
> >which is going to reference the pages.url column for the particular
> >host that this page belongs to.
> >
> >Something like:
> >
> >  alter table page_contents add link_name text;
> >  alter table page_contents
> >    add constraint foo foreign key (p.hostid, link_name)
> >    references pages (hostid, url)
> >    where p.id = pageid;
>
> The easiest, and not necessarily elegant, way to acomplish this is to create
> linkid rather than link_name and make it a foreign key to pages.id.

Unfortunately this isn't possible :-(  My schema above is simplified a
little too far.  In the real schema we keep old versions of pages
around in the pages table (we move the 'url' field to a 'url_deleted'
field so that the unique (hostid, url) isn't violated by the new
version of the page).  This means that the pageid can be updated, so
link_name must store a url, not a pageid.

> Then add a trigger that checks to make sure the pages you link to
> from page_contents to pages is for the same host.  If not, raise an
> exception.

I think though that this suggestion is right.  I'm not sure what
difference it makes if it's link_name or linkid, but it looks like
I'll have to write a trigger for this.  It doesn't seem like there's a
way using just ordinary foreign keys.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.